Register for Marathonkids Ireland 2020
The new and improved Marathonkids program for 2020 is here!
Marathonkids has been a huge success over the last 5 years. We have had over 20,000 students, 150 schools and 350 classes complete the program since we launched in 2015.
The last 6 months have been particularly hard and confusing for children and with that in mind and as we know how important physical and mental health and wellbeing is at the moment, we feel it is important to give students something to focus on and look forward to over the coming months.
We really wish to continue the Marathonkids success and give students, schools, and teachers the option to participate in the Marathonkids program in 2020.
Based on the current environment we have made some program changes to help schools facilitate a safe and fun program.
- All interaction with participating schools will be digital. Loads more digital content available
- No Physical visits to the schools
- The option to have a Digital program Booklets to replace physical booklet
- The option to for a Digital certificate of completion or finisher medal
- Participation T-shirt is optional
- No mass participation Final mile event. Schools can organize and design independent events based on your school’s current environment and facilities
Marathonkids 2020 Program Information
Marathonkids 2020 will start on the week starting 5th October 2020. The recommended timeline to complete the program is 8 weeks.
Each Student will record daily updates in their physical or digital workbooks.
Each Week the interactive workbook will allow students to cover different topics relating to the benefits of Sport:
- Week 1: Healthy Heart
- Week 2: Physical Benefits of Exercise
- Week 3: Mental Benefits of Exercise
- Week 4: Social Benefits of Exercise
- Week 5: Community Benefits of Exercise
- Week 6: The Role of Hydration
- Week 7: The Role of Nutrition
- Week 8: The Education Benefits of Exercise
Each topic is broken up into 4 lessons and designed to be cover over 4 days in conjunction with daily run.
The Topics tie in to the SPHE module of the student’s curriculum.
Students will run/jog/walk an assigned distance each week. This is designed to be completed daily over 4 days, but each school will have the option to design this to suit their facilities:
- Week 1: 2400m
- Week 2: 3200m
- Week 3: 4000m
- Week 4: 4800m
- Week 5: 5600m
- Week 6: 6400m
- Week 7: 6800m
- Week 8: 8000m
Participating schools can design the Final Mile celebration in house, based on current government health and safety guidelines
Teachers will receive weekly emails and updates on the marathonkidsireland.ie website. The content will include hints and tips, Video content including exercise warm ups, nutrition and recipes from Irish international track and field athlete David Gillick. All this content is available to share with the participating students.
For more information and to register your school for the 2020 program please complete the form on marathonkidsireland.ie homepage.
We are really looking forward to working with you again this year. We wish you good health and happiness into the future and thank you for all your support to date.